Saturday, September 26th, 2020

What’s your favorite baseball book?

July 5, 2010 by
Filed under Book Review

We are going to put Democracy to action!   As you might expect, we get a lot of requests @ BooksonBaseball to review an upcoming baseball book or an older, classic book.

What we are going to do is to create an ongoing comment area for you to nominate books to be reviewed and discussed on the website.   We will get a number of requests and then have an informal vote and the winner will be the next book reviewed.  Sound good?

Go to the comments section below and let us know what book you would like to see reviewed on BooksonBaseball.

Comments

34 Responses to “What’s your favorite baseball book?”
  1. Joe Logan says:

Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball and Cobb: A Autobiography

2. Sean says:

Turning Back The Clock by John Fitch V. It’s the story of two Red Sox fans who go back in time to 1919 to stop the sale of Babe Ruth to the Yankees, as well as the Black Sox Scandal in an attempt to reverse the Red Sox’ fortunes.

3. Ty says:

Memories of Baseball by Roger Kahn…a great collection of stories about growing up in the golden age of New York baseball and then covering the Dodgers and Yankees through many championships.

4. Dennis Garone says:

Ball Four (read it as a kid so it may not have the same zing and comedy I remember)…
    Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms (Eldon Auker) and Teammates are my top 3

5. Justin D. says:

“The Boys of Summer” by Roger Khan. A great piece of literature describing Khan’s life as a beat writer and also fan of Walter O’ Malley’s Broolyn / LA Dodgers. Great coming-of-age story seen through the game of baseball.

6. Ted Cogswell says:

The Wrong Stuff by Bill Lee.

7. jack birdwhistell says:

Roger Kahn, “Boys of Summer”; Jim Brosnan, “Long Season”; Joe Posnanski, “The Soul of Baseball”

8. BANNED in the BRONX The Yankee Hater Memoirs 1953-2005.

My name is Gene Hutmaker and I am the self-proclaimed Yankee Hater. I am the biggest Yankee Hater on this planet Earth (I go about 230 lbs.). Living in Yankee country in South Brunswick NJ (plus having two Yankee-lovin’ sons) doesn’t make it easy, but that hasn’t stopped my rantings about baseball’s Evil Empire. My sons challenged me to put my money where my mouth was and put pen to paper. My son Dr. Michael Hutmaker, a Dean at Manhattan Community College, is a reluctant (for obvious reasons) co-author – he kept it rated PG. My other Pinstriped son, Chris, a Columbia and Wharton grad also contributed.
    I want to highlight a book I authored titled BANNED in the BRONX The Yankee Haters Memoirs 1953-2005. The book chronicles the year-by-year account of each baseball season with little or no mention of the success of the New York Yankees, but rather a highlight of their failures. This is the BIBLE, TORAH & KORAN for all Yankee Haters.
    Readers have given my book much praise making my head get as BIG as Barry Bonds’ – wait a minute, nothing can get that big. For an amusing read please visit my website http://www.bannedinthebronx.com.
    Check out the reviews on Amazon.com

9. June Schwartz says:

The Teammates

10. Sean says:

Roberto & Me by Dan Gutman

11. Dan Porter says:

Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella for fiction and Three Nights in August by H. G. Bissinger for non-fiction.

12. Debbie says:

Can’t really pick one favorite bu tBaseball in America – great pictures, illustrates the game all over the country,all levels… sandlots to Major League Parks.

13. Tom Zocco says:

Just finished reading “Baseball’s First Lady.” It is a biography of Helene Hathaway Robison Britton.” She was the first woman to own a baseball team, the St Louis Cardinals. She was quite a woman

14. Brad says:

Odd Man Out by Matt McCarthy

15. Sofia Albizuri says:

Ball Four: The Final Pitch. I specify that particular edition because It adds new material to the original and covers Bouton’s return to Yankee Stadium in 1988. It is also by far the funniest baseball book ever written.

16. Jill Ward says:

“Ball Four” and “The Southpaw”– both excellent and insightful books.

17. Bobby Donlan says:

Three Nights in August, by Tony LaRussa and Buzz Bisinger

18. James says:

Cobb by Al Stump.

19. wayne creighton says:

The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn

Can readit over and over and it nvers get old

20. Joe says:

So many good ones. To nominate a few that I don’t think have been mentioned yet:

Eight Men Out – Eliot Asinot

The Glory of Their Times – Lawrence Ritter

A Well-paid Slave – Brad Snyder

21. Major League Bride: An Inside Look at Life Outside of the Ballpark. Unique insight into passion, pressure and insecurity that permeates the family life of a major league baseball family.

22. jim west says:

Ball Four ,Jim Bouton also Buck O’neil biography I was right on time

23. Bill Lewers says:

The Heavenly World Series by Frank O’Rourke

24. Stan Green says:

The Boys of Summer is my favorite among many great books.

25. J says:

I just finished reading Jim Hawkins book, Al Kaline, The Biography of a Tigers Icon. Great book. Hawkins and Kaline take you through nearly every detail of the Tigers right fielder’s Hall of Fame career, starting when he was still a scrawny kid in Baltimore. I wish more books were written on the Tigers, and their players, 110 years, and a lot of great baseball to cover.

I also enjoyed Clemente, by David Maraniss, the Glory of their Times, by Lawrence S. Ritter, and Crazy ’08, by Cait Murphy.

26. John Sharp says:

Sorry, I only entered J, instead of my entire name, sorry for the typo.

27. Roy D. Hall says:

Tough choice, but will go with Summer Game by Angell, barely over Ball Four.

28. The latest book on Charlie Finley is fascinating.

29. Andrew says:

A Game of Inches by Peter Morris

30. David says:

The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter. This is the book that got me interested in baseball history.

31. Laura B. says:

I really enjoyed, “Shut Out” by Howard Bryant. Not only was it a history of race and the Boston Red Sox, but it was also an excellent history of race relations in the city, as well as the advent of sports journalism in Massachusetts. For fiction, I recommend “The Great American Novel” by Philip Roth. Very different!

32. Mike Hanns says:

Veeck, as in Wreck by (who else) Bill Veeck. A very funny and insightful book by one of the most colorful figures in the history of baseball. A close second would be The Babe by Robert Creamer.

33. Ellen Parnell says:

Ring Lardner’s You Know Me Al: a Busher’s Letters, first published in 1914 is a great little “novel in letters”, although it feels as if Jack Keefe still steps right off the page nearly 100 years later. For sheer aesthetics, find Baseball’s Golden Age: the Photographs of Charles M. Conlon with the most gorgeous and evocative photos you will ever want to see. The close-ups and action on the field are paired with fascinating and informative captions by the editors, Neal and Constance McCabe.

34. Mark says:

Ellen,

Thanks for your contribution. I will add them to the list.

We had an earlier article on the Lardner book, see

Thanks again,